Are you searching for Chemonics International Job Vacancy, June 2023, International Jobs at Chemonics, Chemonics Careers, Nafasi za kazi Chemonics International.
Position: Senior Gender Advisor, Heshimu Bahari Activity
Background: The USAID Heshimu Bahari Activity is part of the U.S. government’s biodiversity and climate change conservation portfolio in Tanzania.
This will incorporate a series of interventions that support and strengthen the capacity for biodiversity conservation and climate adaptation in a manner that i) reduces the use of illegal and unsustainable fishing; ii) improves the governance and management of coastal land and seascapes; and iii) improves policy development and capacity to implement policies.
Read also: Exim Bank Tanzania Job Vacancy, June 2023
These interventions together will reduce threats to marine and coastal biodiversity in Tanzania while moving Tanzanian institutions further on their journey to self-reliance. The Activity has four integrated objectives:
- Establish an enabling framework for a Marine Protected Area (MPA) network for resilient biodiversity conservation, climate resilient communities, and enhanced wild-caught fisheries production.
- Community co-management of MPAs/wild-caught fisheries and climate resilience strengthened.
- Private sector investment in MPAs and wild-caught fisheries expanded.
- Integration of relevant science to MPA and fisheries policy and management improved.
Position Description: In cooperation with Heshimu Bahari’s technical and management staff, the Senior Gender Advisor is responsible for guiding, planning, and ensuring an integrated and effective approach to implementation of all gender equity and social inclusion (GESI) components of the Activity in line with its Gender and Vulnerable Population Strategy (GVPS).
The Senior Gender Advisor will further ensure that all such activities are in line with USAID regulations and expectations, as well as with the Activity’s contract. They will advise the Chief of Party and technical team leaders to ensure that project-related activities under their authority are successfully implemented and sustainable by project partners.
The GVPS provides a foundation for the Activity to leverage and amplify the essential role that women, youth, and other “vulnerable groups” play to advance marine conservation.
It applies a three-pronged approach to GESI integration (adopted from USAID’s “Gender in Fisheries – a Sea of Opportunities”) by considering how Tanzanian women and youth serve as marine ecosystem beneficiaries who rely on seascapes, conservation stewards who have an important role in MPA co-management and conservation leadership, and champions for sustainability of seascape-based value chains and ancillary functions, such as research.
Detailed Responsibilities: Chemonics International Job Vacancy
- Oversee the design and implementation of GESI activities across Heshimu Bahari’s four objectives.
- Ensure that all performance targets and deliverables relating to GESI outlined in the annual work plans are completed in a timely and cost-effective manner, and that they meet high quality standards.
- Assess and analyze cumulative findings from the desk research to identify key opportunities and constraints for different groups to participate in and benefit from project activities.
- Design and facilitate GESI trainings for Heshimu Bahari staff, partners, stakeholders, and beneficiaries to build capacity as needed.
- Support Heshimu Bahari to design and evaluate GESI-oriented grants and/or ensure GESI considerations are incorporated into grant solicitations and awards.
- Identifies, liaises with, and builds relationships with private sector stakeholders committed to impact investment to advance inclusive outcomes for fisheries value chains in line with project activities.
- Develops research methodologies and scopes and undertakes relevant research to generate evidence and learning on best practices and strategies to advance GESI in marine conservation and climate change adaptation as necessary.
- As needed, liaise with representatives of ministries and other relevant stakeholders responsible for overseeing and implementing GESI training and capacity-building programs.
- Contribute to project quarterly reports, annual work plans, and other project reports and deliverables as required, such as supporting data collection efforts where appropriate.
- Undertake assessment trips, initiate and evaluate the progress of the Activity’s GESI components, conduct monitoring visits of select grantees where appropriate, and suggest adjustments as needed.
- Coordinate tasks with other project staff working as a team as directed by the Chief of Party.
Qualifications and Key Competencies: Chemonics Careers
- A master’s degree in Gender Studies, Social Equity, or a related field;
- 10 years of experience in the GESI sector in Tanzania;
- Proven capacity to effectively engage with communities on GESI challenges and issues;
- Prior experience in marine biodiversity conservation, alternative livelihoods, climate change adaptation and mitigation, socio-economic resilience, or other related fields is preferred;
- Prior experience with technical assistance and/or donor-funded projects is preferred; and
- Strong English and Swahili language skills.
Place of Performance and Reporting: The Senior Gender Advisor will perform their duties in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and report to Heshimu Bahari’s Chief of Party or designee.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.