Job Opportunities at Maternity Africa 2022 | Country Director
Position: Country Director | Job Opportunities at Maternity Africa 2022
Reports to: The Board of Directors
Organization: Maternity Africa
Duty Station: Kivulini Maternity Centre, Ngaramtoni ya Chini – Arusha
You may also interested for:
- Job Opportunities at Tanzania Social Action Fund (TASAF) 2022
- New Job Opportunities at Total Energies Tanzania 2022
- Job Opportunities at Tanzania Social Action Fund (TASAF) 2022
- Graduate Development Program Job Opportunities at ECO Bank Tanzania 2022
- New Job Opportunities at TCCIA Tanzania 2022
Maternity Africa (www.maternityafrica.org) is a Christian-based, charitable, non-governmental organization registered in Tanzania. It is devoted to making childbirth safe by providing access to good maternity services and treatment of obstetric fistulae and other birth related injuries. We serve the poorest, most vulnerable women by providing free, quality reproductive health care. All programmes have been developed to have a positive impact on the health and wellbeing of mother and child by minimizing maternal and neonatal morbidity and mortality.
Maternity Africa is committed to its mission of making childbirth safe and demonstrating the love and compassion of Christ to all regardless of race, religion or ethnicity.
This is an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and results-oriented professional. We are looking to appoint a Country Director who will be responsible for the oversight and management of Maternity Africa based at Kivulini Maternity Centre, Arusha, and its related outreach programmes in Tanzania.
The Country Director we are looking for is a highly motivated, accomplished and energetic individual who will bring long-term strategic vision, insights, professional excellence and proven leadership and management experience, preferably of health institutions. The Country Director will lead an organization employing over 70 staff, including a small number of short-term volunteers from outside Tanzania. He/she will report to a governing Board of Directors and be accountable for delivering the organization’s strategic direction and goals.
To be successful, the position requires an individual who has a demonstrated personal integrity, compassion, firmness, strategic vision, strong interpersonal and communication skills and is a team player.
Key result areas
Strategy: Champion and provide leadership in implementing Maternity Africa’s rolling five-year strategic plan focusing on its vision, mission, values and strategic objectives, under the oversight of the Board of Directors. This includes the prospect of commencing and implementing new projects in other parts of Tanzania.
Management: Promote an organizational culture and ethos that reflects the values of Maternity Africa and fosters integrity, professional excellence and superior performance which results in positive outcomes in all areas of the organization’s activities.
Human resource management: Facilitate the process of attracting, motivating and retaining the highest quality staff while promoting a culture of continuous learning by ensuring that robust policies and practices are upheld.
Financial management: Direct the development and management of the annual budget in line with approved strategic plans and objectives. Ensure that annual operational and financial audits are conducted and presented to the Board of Directors. Enforce compliance at all levels of systems, procedures, statutory and legal processes.
Risk management: Identify, assess, record and manage risks affecting Maternity Africa at corporate and departmental levels through the implementation of appropriate risk registers.
External engagements: To represent Maternity Africa at various forums and events related to our mission. To foster good relationships with donors and other key stakeholders. To develop strong working relationships with relevant government departments, community and religious leaders.
Governance process: Act as Secretary to the Board of Directors, and in consultation with the Chair of the Board and of the Annual General Meeting (AGM), ensure that due Notices of Board meetings/AGM are timely and that minutes of Board meetings and AGM are kept and that facilitation of Board members attendance at meetings are professionally handled.
Key Qualification, Specifications and Experience
- Degree (preferably Masters) in Medicine and/or Surgery or equivalent qualifications from an accredited University AND/OR Professional or senior academic qualification in a business, management, hospital administration or related field. Job Opportunities at Maternity Africa 2022
Robust, three to five year hands-on management/leadership experience in hospital/health centre contexts and administration at middle to senior levels, and a ready willingness and ability to concentrate on realizing Maternity Africa’s strategic priorities, specifically:
a) Treatment and prevention of obstetric fistula and provision of quality maternity care at its 56-bed health centre outside Arusha
b) Expansion into other territories within Tanzania
- Relevant training in management and administration, preferably (but not exclusively) of health institutions
- Current registration with relevant Tanzania Professional Bodies
- Demonstrable experience leading local and international professional teams, preferably (but not exclusively) in the health sector
- Experience of working with an experienced, diverse Board of Trustees/Directors
- Experience in institution-building, change management and related leadership
- Experience working in donor-funded projects
Skills and Competences
- Have a strategic mind-set, coupled with excellent tactical and operational abilities
- Excellent entrepreneurial, programme management, leadership and people-management skills
- Strong conceptual, analytical and problem solving skills
- Report and proposal writing skills.
- Demonstrated experience in networking, building and sustaining strategic partnerships
- High level proficiency in both written and verbal English and Kiswahili languages
- Proficiency in Microsoft Applications
- Be a ‘people-person’ – someone who is able to interact successfully with and relate to people from diverse backgrounds
Maternity Africa is an equal opportunities employer. Maternity Africa will only contact/respond to candidates who strictly meet the above requirements.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications, experience and competence requirements are advised to send their application letter, detailed Curriculum Vitae, copies of their academic certificates and testimonials demonstrating how their experience fits the position to email address [email protected].
Please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below by 09.00pm on Tuesday, 22 February 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Position: Country Director
Reference Number: MA/CD/KAS/09/01/22.
The Board of Directors
P.O. Box 16464
Email: [email protected]