UNICEF Jobs 2021 | WASH Specialist Jobs, UNICEF jobs in Kenya, Unicef jobs 2021, UNICEF jobs in Kenya 2021, UNICEF Tanzania jobs, UNICEF jobs Nairobi, UNICEF Kenya . Check also: KUCCPS Driver Jobs in Kenya 2021
UNICEF Jobs 2021 | WASH Specialist Jobs
Job no: 541538
Contract type: Temporary Appointment
Location: Tanzania, Uni.Re
Categories: WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene)
You may also apply:
- Fire-IT Jobs 2021 | IT Support Technician Jobs
- World Vegetable Center Jobs 2021 | Communications Officer
- HESLB Public Notice | Taarifa Ya HESLB Kwa Waombaji Mikopo
- How to Register in Ajira Portal 2021 | Kujisajili na Ajira Portal
- Sua Postgraduate Online Application 2021/2022
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. save their lives. defend their rights. also help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Safety
Tanzania is hosting 219,604 refugees and asylum seekers. The majority of the refugees are from Burundi with the remainder being from the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Fifty-four per cent of the refugee population are children, and more than 7,000 are unaccompanied and separated children.
Refugees in Tanzania are hosted in three camps (Nyarugusu, Mtendeli and Nduta) of which Nduta and Nyarugusu are overcrowded.
The camps have an inadequate number of schools. Health and nutrition facilities are overstretched, and WASH facilities in schools and in Child Friendly Spaces (CFS) are overwhelmed.
Malaria is the leading cause of morbidity, accounting for 30 per cent of all outpatient visits in camp health facilities during this reporting period.
UNICEF Tanzania is seeking to engage an experienced WASH Specialist to the planning, implementation. Monitoring of public health emergency responses to the refugee community and host communities in Kigoma Region.
The WASH Specialist in close coordination with UNHCR will work together with WASH NGOs, government counterparts. Communities to plan, implement and monitor WASH interventions in the camp and host communities.
How can you make a difference – UNICEF Jobs 2021
Planning and Strategy
- On an ongoing basis, collect and analyze WASH data, with a focus on WASH-related risks and gaps analysis.
- Assess the existing WASH strategies for refugees and host communities and ongoing
- implementation activities and, together with partners, update as necessary, taking into account evolving contexts and existing guidelines.
- Support partners to develop and harmonize IEC materials appropriate to specific responses.
- Coordinate the procurement and distribution of hygiene related materials and supplies in accordance with the agreed WASH response strategy.
- In consultation with UNHCR conduct emergency public health risk assessments for new refugee
- influxes and provide reports with proposals and recommendations for the country planning purposes.
- Provide technical inputs, supervision and guidance to the UNICEF implementing partners working in the refugee camps and in host communities.
- Oversee the implementation of the development of 31 water supply systems for host communities under the Pol Due Jensen Foundation programme
- Emergency preparedness and response
- Oversee the implementation of Kigoma Joint Programme activities in host communities
- Actively participate in periodic WASH-related contingency planning and preparedness taking into account potential and significant changes in the nature of specific responses.
Training /Capacity Building:
- Assess sector training needs, promote, and carry out training of WASH humanitarian personnel in
- Support efforts to strengthen the capacity of the national/local authorities and civil society on WASH;
- WASH in emergencies, build the capacity of partner NGOs on best practices,
- Ensure consistency and quality of the WASH response planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation;
- Provide technical capacity building through coaching and on-the-job training during site visits
- Support UNICEF’s implementing partners and WASH partners in proposal /concept preparation, to incorporate
Coordination – UNICEF Tanzania jobs
- Coordinate the implementation of the Kigoma Joint Programme interventions in host communities among the Kigoma Regional Secretariat and District Councils;
- Support UNHCR in coordinating the WASH response strategy, ensuring harmonization of sanitation and hygiene promotion approaches and methodologies
- Participate in WASH/health coordination meetings including TWGs with government counterparts,
- WASH actors, and other key players, and provide guidance on water, hygiene and sanitation issues
- Support UNHCR in coordinating WASH actors, both within the camps and host community
Sectoral work plan development, implementation and Monitoring
- Work with UNHCR and WASH partners to develop an effective WASH Sectoral work plan including monitoring tools and mechanisms.
- focus on operation and maintenance/cleaning of latrines and hand washing facilities, and hygiene behavior (hygienic use of latrines, hand washing, food and kitchen management, etc.).
- based upon the agreed standard indicators. This needs to include an analytical interpretation of the best available information to benchmark progress of the response over time in relation to:
- Oversee the maintenance of a WASH information system for monitoring sex-disaggregated data
- including the following aspects (quantity, quality, coverage, continuity of service, cost, and community participation and ownership;
- Target population data including disaggregation by sex and age to support designing a response that meets pre-defined standards.
- In coordination with UNHCR undertake KAP surveys on hygiene behavior, as required.
- Visit project sites and monitor hygiene and sanitation activities and conditions in the camps and host community and provide reports and recommendations for improvement
Program Management, Delivery, Documentation and Reporting – UNICEF Tanzania
- Ensure programme efficiency and delivery through a rigorous and transparent approach to evaluation; 22.
- Regular reporting that will include contributing to UNHCR reports as well as Kigoma Joint Programme reporting as required;
- Submit regular reports to UNICEF on the situation and implementation progress, including annual report
Communication, collaboration, networking and partnerships
- Collaborate with government and WASH partners to ensure development of effective strategies to support advocacy, social mobilization and emergency efforts;
- Manage partnerships with UNICEF’s implementing partners
- Collaborate with the Operations and Supply Sections and Tanzania Red Cross Society (TRCS) to develop and maintain a sound emergency supply management system, including the development of procurement and distribution plans.
- Interact with government and other WASH partners, UN and bilateral agencies in the various stages of WASH programme/project implementation to follow up on agreements and recommendations.
- Provide technical support and guidance on appropriate technical, financial and institutional capacity building measures to achieve WASH programme goals
Minimum Qualifications and Experience – UNICEF jobs
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in one of the following fields is required: public health, social sciences, behavior change communication, sanitary engineering or another relevant technical field
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience in WASH-related programmes for developing countries, with proven field experience in WASH in emergencies;
- Knowledge of the latest developments in emergency sanitation and hygiene including demonstrated experience of integrating gender & diversity issues in to public health;
- Analytical, negotiation, communication and advocacy skills; ▪ Leadership and teamwork abilities;
- Ability to operate computer Microsoft office programs (MS Word, Excel, Power Point and Access;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of Swahili language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
Nurtures, Leads and Manages People (1) , Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (2) , Works Collaboratively with others (2) ,Builds and Maintains Partnerships (2) , Innovates and Embraces Change (2) ,Thinks and Acts Strategically (2) ,Drives to achieve impactful results (2) ,Manages ambiguity and complexity (2)
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
Click here to learn more about UNICEF’s values and competencies.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. Also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Remarks: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
The deadline for submitting the application is 29 July 2021.