New Jobs at IRMCT Arusha | United Nations (UN) Jobs 2021, IRMCT is mandated to perform a number of essential functions previously carried out by the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda and the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia. Check also:Latest Jobs at CCBRT 2021
New Jobs at IRMCT Arusha | United Nations (UN) Jobs 2021
The United Nations Security Council created the Mechanism on 22 December 2010 as a “small, temporary and efficient structure”.
The Mechanism started operating on 1 July 2012 in Arusha, United Republic of Tanzania, and on 1 July 2013 in The Hague, the Netherlands. (Jobs at IRMCT Arusha | United Nations (UN) Jobs 2021)
The Arusha branch inherited functions from the ICTR, and the Hague branch from the ICTY.
During the initial years of the Mechanism’s existence, it operated in parallel with the ICTR and the ICTY. Following the closure of the ICTR (on 31 December 2015) and the ICTY (on 31 December 2017), the Mechanism continued to operate as a stand-alone institution
In carrying out these essential functions the Mechanism maintains the legacies of these two pioneering ad hoc international criminal courts and strives to reflect best practices in the field of international criminal justice. (Jobs at IRMCT Arusha | United Nations (UN) Jobs 2021)
Posting Title: ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER, P4
Job Code Title: ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER
Department/Office: International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals
Duty Station: ARUSHA
Job Opening Number: 21-Administration-RMT-152340-R-Arusha (R)
Staffing Exercise N/A
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Office of the Chief Administrative Officer, Registry, Arusha Branch under the supervision of the Chief Administrative Officer and in coordination with the Officer in Charge of the Registry of the Arusha Branch.
The International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals (The Mechanism) was established by Security Council resolution 1966 (2010) to carry out a number of essential functions of the International Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia and the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda.
The Mechanism has two branches, in Arusha and in The Hague. (Jobs at IRMCT Arusha | United Nations (UN) Jobs 2021)
Duties and Responsibilities
- The incumbent will be responsible for coordinating and overseeing the administrative support to the Branch.
- Oversee and coordinate the preparation and implementation of the administrative work program to ensure compatibility with work priorities and objectives. (Jobs at IRMCT Arusha | United Nations (UN) Jobs 2021)
- Provide input into the budget process, taking into account the most effective use of resources.
- Initiate and conduct studies to improve budget reporting systems and cost-effective utilization of program resources.
- Monitor and control budgetary allocations through regular reviews; draft routine and ad hoc outputs; and, provide effective monitoring reports and data.
- Identify deviations from plans and propose corrective measures.
- Establish, review and maintain a set of sound policies, procedures, standards and tools which are consistent with UN policy and practice in order to ensure proper accounting, financial management and control.
- Provide direct supervisory support to the General Services Section and act as additional reporting officer in the areas of Finance, IT, Procurement and Human Resources management.
- Implement and monitor support services, including procurement of supplies and services; transport and travel, engineering, facility management, provision of local utilities and general service requirements.
- Produce major/complex reports for management. (Jobs at IRMCT Arusha | United Nations (UN) Jobs 2021)
- Perform other related work as required.
Skills and Competencies
- Knowledge of administrative, budgetary, financial and human resources policies and procedures. Ability to apply various United Nations administrative rules and regulations in work situations.
- Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis.
- Ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, make conclusions and recommendations. Strong written and oral communication skills. Actively seeks to improve programmes or services. (Jobs at IRMCT Arusha | United Nations (UN) Jobs 2021)
- Ability to offer new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments.
- Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards.
- Operates in compliance with organisational regulations and rules. (Jobs at IRMCT Arusha | United Nations (UN) Jobs 2021)
- Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments.
- Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Planning and Organizing
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies.
- Identifies priority activities and assignments, adjusts priorities as required.
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. (Jobs at IRMCT Arusha | United Nations (UN) Jobs 2021)
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning.
- Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
- Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly.
- Gathers relevant information before making a decision.
- Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them.
- Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organisation.
- Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information.
- Checks assumptions against facts. (Jobs at IRMCT Arusha | United Nations (UN) Jobs 2021)
- Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision. Makes tough decisions when necessary.
- Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority.
- Makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member.
- Accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills.
- Monitors progress against milestones and deadlines. Regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff.
- Encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative. Actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff. (Jobs at IRMCT Arusha | United Nations (UN) Jobs 2021)
- Appraises performance fairly.
Minimum Qualifications and Work Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business or public administration, finance, accounting, procurement, engineering or related area.
- A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- Minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible experience in administration, budget, finance, procurement, facility management or related field.
- Relevant work experience from the United Nations is desirable.
- Must have demonstrated experience leading teams, including performance management.
- Transactional experience in SAP is desirable. (Jobs at IRMCT Arusha | United Nations (UN) Jobs 2021)
- Experience as a certifying officer and programme manager are desirable.
- Experience working in the domain of international justice is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the Mechanism. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of French or Kiswahili might be an advantage.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
Mode of Application
Staff members of the United Nations Secretariat must fulfil the lateral move requirements to be eligible to apply for this vacancy. Staff members are requested to indicate all qualifying lateral moves in their Personal History Profile (PHP) and cover letter.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
Posting Period: 31 March 2021 – 29 April 2021